Ginger ( Zingiber officinale Rosc.) is known as a flowering plant, in which its ginger root is widely used around the world as spice and as medicine. It belongs to the family of Zingiberaceae and finds its origin from China.
Ginger is highly known for its medicinal qualities, ginger can be consumed in its fresh, dried or powdered form.
These rhizomes when processed can be added as spice to our meals to make it even more palatable. Over 100 active ingredients have been Identified in ginger plant in its fresh and dried state.
The Major Active ingredients of Ginger is Gingerol which can further be converted into shogaols, zinger one, paradol, zerumbone, flavonoids and pungent oleresins to mention a few.
The health benecellsfits of Ginger tea in our skin and it’s biological functionality are enormous. Ginger are also detoxifiers and they help in liver cleansing.
Health benefits of Ginger on our body.
1. Ginger acts as a Natural painkiller. Ginger does not act as an immediate pain reliever but can naturally reduce pain and hormonal stress in your day to day activities.
In a study conducted, it was observed that 2 grams of Ginger may Moderately reduce muscle pain which were gotten from heavy exercise if consistently taken for at least 5 to 11 days.
Further more ginger extract does not spoil the stomach lining neither does it cause indigestion, in fact according to research it aids digestive health (indigestion, constipation and ulcer) when taken over a period of time.
2. Ginger aids in the reduction of Inflammation:Ginger is known to increase immunity and reduce Inflammation due to the presence of Gingerol and shogaols as an active compound in ginger.
They further reduce Inflammation by breaking down prostaglandin and leukotriene bio synthesis through suppression of 5-lipoxygenase or prostaglandin synthetase in the human cells.
Ginger has the ability to suppress some major Inflammation which is a result of Tumor necrosis factor alpha (TNF-alpha)In the immune cells this rhizome can also stop the secretion of inflammatory cytokines enzymes.
3. Ginger Anti-inflammatory effect may help with Osteoarthritis ;Osteoarthritis is the most common form of arthritis, and this disease has affected millions of people worldwide. It is triggered when the protective cartilage on the ends of your bones wears down over time.
A reported study was carried in an invitro environment where not less 247 people with knee osteoarthritis, those set of people who took had some level of relieve and required less pain medication.
Although there are some controversies in the effectiveness of Ginger in patients with osteoarthritis.
It was recorded in one study that ginger extract performed significantly well in reducing the symptoms while in another study it was proven that this ginger extract was only significant in the early stages of treatment after that the effect were not visibly felt.
4. Ginger protects the stomach lining from Ulcer;Ginger has been reported to reduce stomach damage which makes it a best bet for people with gastric ulcer which were induced by non steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs like indomethacin, aspirin) , reserpine, ethanol, stress (hypothermia and swimming), acetic acid and Helicobacter pylori-induced gastric ulcerations in laboratory animals.
Due to its ability to increase the secretion of protective prostaglandins in the stomach linings, it can be a way of treating gastric ulcers.
5. Ginger Neutralizes Nausea and Vomiting;Nausea is defined as a stomach discomfort and the sensation of wanting to vomit. It can be caused by different factors.
Various clinical studies have suggested the use of ginger in the treatment of Nausea and Vomiting in pregnant women and also for the treatment of chemotherapeutic induced vomiting and Nausea.
The use of ginger as a herb in Nausea Vomiting in Pregnancy ( NVP) has been under extensive study over 30years and counting.
A study was conducted where different persons were given 500mg ( 5 biscuits daily) of ginger powder in biscuit.
In the study there was an improvement in the patients with NVP when they were given a dose of ∼1000 mg/d for at least four days.
HIV medications also causes NVP and a gram of ginger each they proved to suppress mild Nausea.
The conclusion gotten from this study was that ginger is a sure way of treating NVP with little or no cost.
6. Ginger can help in the treatment of Dyspepsia:Dyspepsia also known as Chronic indigestion can be defined as a chronic or recurrent pain or discomfort in the upper abdomen.
A preliminary study which had to do with 11 people with dyspepsia was carried out, there were indications that ginger had an impact although not so significant on treating dyspepsia symptoms and gastric emptying.
Further studies need to be carried out to validate this finding.
7. Ginger Helps in Blood Sugar regulation:High and low blood sugar can be a worrying thing and can affect people with both type 1 and type 2 diabetes.
Research has shown that Ginger can help regulate Fasting hyperglycemia in the body, this is due to the Anti-inflammatory properties Ginger.
8. Ginger Helps in the ease of Menstrual pain, ginger benefits for women can be enormous, this rhizome helps in reducing menstrual pains and cramps with common causes such as heavy flow, passing clots, uterine fibroids or endometriosis.
A study was released stating that ginger is as effective as ibuprofen in the relief of pain.
This was According to a 2009 study published in the Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medication.
9. Ginger may Serve as a Disinfectant ;Due to the high presence of Gingerol in Ginger, it can be a home remedy in fighting of bacteria and fungi attacks.
This is due to ginger ability to induce body sweet. This sweet then helps in detoxifying any toxins found in the body.
10. Ginger is also known to secret dermcidin, a protein that aids in shielding against bacterial /fungi attacks.
10. Ginger may be the breakthrough to Cure Cancer :There are many findings about the impact of ginger in the search for the cure of cancer.
Research has shown that ginger extracts has the ability of decreasing inflammatory makers such as vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF), interleukin-8, and prostaglandin E2 (PEG2) in patients with ovarian ccaner.
There has been signs of improvement after certain treatments with ginger extract.
Other Ginger benefits:
It helps prevent heart disease.It improves brain function.It helps in Soothing dry mouth (Xerostomia).Ginger fights against obesity.PrecautionsToo much of everything is bad and this is also applicable with ginger.
Ginger root should not be consumed in doses exceeding 6 grams per day because excess of it can destroy the stomach linings leading to ulcer.
Studies has shown that ginger when consumed in large quantities can lead to heart irregularities and should be stopped immediately.
When you are under blood thinning medication you should try as much as possible to avoid consuming ginger, finally avoid consuming ginger if you are at risk of internal bleeding or have gallstones
Please feel free to SHARE this Article.